Hello! So I finished my reduction print and the photos below are the third and final layer. Four layers were not my plan, I wanted to do three, but after the third it didn't seem finished.
I think the main thing I learned about reduction prints was cut more than you think you should and print WAY more than you think because you will mess up on a few. But overall I am very pleased with my piece. The colors worked out nicely and it's very aesthetically pleasing.
Below, the first set of photos are my third layer for my purple print. I split the prints into two different colors because I wanted to see what colors I could combine.
For one it was, yellow, pink, purple, and then a darker purple.
For the second half it was yellow, light blue, green, and a darker green.
After I put the third layer down, I did wish I cut more from the second layer, so that I'd have more yellow.
The fourth layer was probably the most challenging for color, I knew what I had to cut, to make the right things pop. I started off trying to make a dark blue on for my purple print but when I proofed it, I didn't like it was doing (the proof is the last photo on the right).
So my next thought was to make just a darker purple, and that was the color I decided to go with. It didn't fight with any other colors and it made the butterfly wings more distinguished.
For my green print, I did the same thing, I made a darker green for the final layer and it had the same effect as the purple print.
I am realizing now I took a photo of the print I accidentally flipped. The purple one. This is actually a perfect example of how badly you can mess up! The registering is way off on the purple print, and the green one isn't so bad. I mean none of them are perfect but I do not want to make them a bleed. I like borders! The ones with not so great register I'll make into bleeds.
Registering is something I may never get right, I know there is something with a wooden frame, that makes it more stable but at this time I am lining up pencil lines with the paper and it isn't exactly giving me clean edges.
But anyway, I am very happy about my first reduction! I had this linoleum for a while, and I always had the plan to do butterfly wings.
The print above is an experiment, I purposely flipped the print to see how it contrasts.
And then the print below is the same color but flipped and I really like it, it's abstract but really fun to look at and their is a lot of detail.
And lastly I had some extra mixed ink I couldn't keep, so I wanted to print this little one I cut awhile back.
Thanks so much for reading! Have a good weekend!!
Weekly blog about my life and my printing!